Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Space vs. Weight

In the past, when packing a suitcase for an overseas flight, used to be that you ran out of space before you even had to worry about how heavy your suitcase was. I recall the day when we were allowed TWO 70 pound suitcases and I was always able to get everything all in and not have to worry about the weight as I would run out of space before I reached 70 pounds.


Now a days, we international travelers are only allowed ONE 50 pound suitcase....it is always a puzzle as to how to get everything packed in UNDER the weight limit. But after having to pack for many, many, many international flights, I have got it down to a science! 


I get around this by packing all the heavy stuff in my carry-ons, Although that is a pain having to drag the heavy stuff through the airports and then having to toss it up into the overhead compartments on the plane.  And as for carry-ons, I always take the "rolly-polly" and my backpack or a large "purse" type bag as my "personal bag/computer bag". Got to work the system!


It seems that some airlines are pretty lax with the exact weight of 50 pounds and will let a pound or two over go through, but others are sticklers and will NOT accept even one pound over! So in those cases...it is a mad shuffle at the counter to transfer MORE heavy stuff to the carry-ons! And not to forget of course, no liquids or sharp objects in the carry-ons!


It is always a relief once the checked bags get sent through and I am able to proceed to security!
Happy travels......

No comments:

Post a Comment